The Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD) encourages customers to read your monthly billing statements for information related to account status. If you have a past due balance, contact DWSD immediately to pay your bill at (313) 267-8000 or online, or come to a Customer Care Center to discuss payment plan arrangements with a representative. Please be advised that in order to enter a payment plan, you need to come into a DWSD Customer Care Center (entering a payment plan is only processed in-person, not by phone or online).

Residents experiencing financial difficulty in paying their bills, contact DWSD to discuss a payment plan:

Eastside Customer Care Center
13303 E. McNichols (1-1/2 blocks west of Gratiot)
Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm


In addition, DWSD customers with delinquent water bills or who are struggling with monthly payments may apply for assistance through the regional Water Residential Assistance Program (WRAP), the DWSD 10/30/50 Payment Plan, the State of Michigan and other sources, which include:

Water Residential Assistance Program (WRAP)

WRAP Flier

Residential water customers who are at or below 150% of the federal poverty level (for example, a maximum annual income of $17,805 for a single person or $36,450 annual household income for a family of four) are eligible to apply for financial assistance through the WRAP.  As long as you meet the income qualifications and provide the required identification and documents, you may apply for the WRAP. Whether you have delinquent water bills or are current with your bills but struggle in paying on time, you are encouraged to apply.

During a 12-month period, WRAP will:

  • Provide a $25 credit toward your monthly bill for 12 months (a total of $300);
  • Freeze your past due amount (if you are behind on your DWSD water and sewer payments) for 12 months upon successful adherence to the payment plan;
  • Apply up to $700 toward your past due amount after you make payments for 12 consecutive months per the agreement;
  • Conduct a water conservation audit if your household water usage exceeds 20% of the average household water consumption in the city which may include up to $1,000 in water conservation and minor home plumbing repairs; and
  • Offer an additional 12 months (no more than 24 months total per household) if you remain eligible that will include the $25 monthly bill credit and financial assistance toward arrears up to $700 (if you continue to have an outstanding past due balance).

Download the WRAP flier (PDF).


WRAP is part of the agreement which created the Great Lakes Water Authority that earmarks 0.5% of the budgeted operating revenue annually toward a financial assistance program for the region for the next 40 years, beginning in 2016. WRAP was designed in large part by the Blue Ribbon Panel on Affordability which was commissioned by Detroit City Council in October 2015. The Blue Ribbon Panel on Affordability included public water utility experts from New Orleans and the Midwest and local Detroit community leaders.

DWSD 10/30/50 Payment Plan

DWSD PlanThe 10/30/50 Payment Plan was developed for DWSD customers who have past due balances and/or are delinquent on their accounts. The plan which has no  income restrictions, and allows payments to be spread during a 24-month period with as little as a 10% down payment on the past due amount. The 10/30/50 Plan is only available to Detroit residents who have responsibility for the household's water and sewer bill.


You may apply for the DWSD 10/30/50 Payment Plan by visiting a Customer Care Center during business hours. Please bring a government-issued ID, your social security number and be prepared to make a deposit.

Soldiers and Sailors Relief and Michigan Veteran Trust Fund

Veterans may obtain financial assistance from the Soldiers and Sailors Relief and the Michigan Veterans Trust Funds. Assistance may be granted to an indigent war-time veteran, or a spouse, widow/widower, or minor children of a war-time veteran. Financial assistance may include funds to pay a past due balance  and/or avoid a service disconnection. Visit the Wayne County Veterans page for further detail or call (313) 224-5045.


The Water Access Volunteer Effort (WAVE) Fund provides assistance to low-income families during a crisis by ensuring uninterrupted access to safe drinking water and sanitation services. Examples include paying down past due balances under $500 or providing help in paying a deposit to enter the DWSD 10/30/50 Payment Plan. Learn more: call DWSD at (313) 267-8000.

MDHHS State Emergency Relief Program

Up to $175 per year in assistance is available to qualifying low-income households. Apply online at www.mibridges.michigan.gov or at your local Michigan Department of Health & Human Services (MDHHS) office. Call 2-1-1 or go to www.michigan.gov/mdhhs and click on the “Contact Us” link if you don’t know the location of the office that serves you.

MDHHS Emergency Services

This program provides additional assistance beyond State Emergency Relief. It is a “last resort” funding source for people who can demonstrate they have exhausted funding from other possible resources and are unable to get services restored. The application process is the same as for State Emergency Relief.