Do you have an overflow or sewer backup?

Contact the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD) immediately at 313-267-7401 upon discovery of an overflow or sewer backup. If you have an overflow or sewer backup into your home or business, complete a DWSD Claim Form (instructions below). State law requires you file a written claim with your local water utility, DWSD in this case, within 45 days after the overflow or backup was discovered.


Did you file a claim with DWSD?

DWSD reviews your claim and responds within 90 days of the 45-day deadline as noted above. There is no need to contact DWSD to follow-up on your claim -- it will not fast-track the process. In some instances, DWSD staff or representative may contact you for additional information such as receipts and photographs.

SPECIAL NOTE: If you filed a claim following the July 8, 2016 and/or August 16, 2016 rainstorms, DWSD has received more than 900 claims. The department plans to resolve the claims by the first quarter of calendar year 2017. There is no need to contact DWSD unless you have received a request for additional documentation.


Claim Form Instructions:

  • Download the DWSD Claim Form (pdf) and complete on your computer or mobile device then print and sign, or print and complete by hand.
  • The claim form must be completed in its entirety and supporting documents must be attached. Failure to provide the required documentation will bar your claim.
    Mail the claim form to:
    Detroit Water and Sewerage Department
    6425 Huber
    Detroit, MI  48211
    ATTN: Claims Division