The Zoning Division reviews all incoming projects to ensure compliance with the City of Detroit Zoning Ordinance. This is actually the first step of the permit process. The Zoning Counter staff provides the most accurate information regarding zoning questions related to your project or activity.
The Zoning Division also conducts public hearings for conditional land uses, issues zoning grants, and assists in the enforcement of them.
The Zoning Ordinance is adopted by the City of Detroit for the following purposes:
- To promote and protect the public health, safety, morals and general welfare of the community;
- To classify all buildings, structures and land in such a manner as to reflect its peculiar suitability for particular uses;
- To regulate the location, construction, reconstruction, alteration, and use of buildings, structures, and land;
- To ensure adequate light, air, privacy, and convenience of access to property;
- To maintain property values;
- To set reasonable standards to which buildings, structures, and uses shall conform;
- To require off-street parking of motor vehicles and appropriate loading and unloading of commercial vehicles;
- To define the powers and duties of the administrative officers and bodies;
- To provide penalties for violations of this Ordinance; and,
- To provide for a Board of Zoning Appeals.
Manager: Jayda Philson
Phone: (313) 224-1317